The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the busting Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
Motion Control, Trajectory Optimization Formulation Intern
Motional is seeking a trajectory formulation intern to join the controls group at Motional. As an intern, you will directly contribute to Motional’s driverless future by helping to formulate trajectory optimization problems that explicitly consider uncertainty. You will engage with the controls team on solving challenging motion planning, trajectory optimization, and controls problems. This intern will have the ability to experiment with optimal control approaches that consider uncertainty and work with self-driving vehicles in real-life uncertain environments
What You'll Be Doing
- You will be working day to day with the Controls team to design, test, and implement new motion planning approaches for uncertainty
- You will gain the experience of working in a modern development environment with real motion planning algorithms
- You will directly be able to analyze and test the vehicle’s performance as the results of new algorithmic changes
- You will directly contribute to making the vehicle’s planning algorithms more robust to real world uncertainties
What We're Looking For
- Candidates enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in Computer Science, Robotics or similar technical field of study
- Candidates with prior experience in controls, motion planning, optimization, model predictive control
- Candidates capable of working in a fast-paced development environment, and willing to quickly try out and prove ideas
- Candidates with experience working with Python and C++ for developing motion control algorithms
- Candidates passionate about motion planning and controls problems in the automated vehicle space
Bonus Points (not required)
- Experience with Forces and Casadi
- Experience with dynamical system modeling
- If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above – that’s okay! We encourage you to apply if you think this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and that you can deliver the results we need.
Why you should join us:
- Be part of the heart of a core team tackling the trajectory optimization problem
- Grow your knowledge by working with and developing real-time motion planning approaches under uncertainty
- Gain the skills of working on state-of-the-art trajectory optimization methods in industry
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.