In partnership with commercial and functionally-organized engineering teams, Motional’s Technology Strategy team leverages broad technical expertise in autonomous transportation to identify opportunities, prototype solutions, and produce market pursuit proposals related to new applications of Motional’s autonomous vehicle technology. Much like an early-stage startup, the team’s philosophy emphasizes rapid prototyping and learning by doing. By developing and executing pilot activities in close coordination with market analysis and product definition work, the team helps define Motional’s mid- and long-term technology strategy for new product applications.
This hands-on technical role will play a key part in a small engineering team that modifies hardware and software as required for pilot activities. In addition to adapting components from existing applications to work for prototypes, and developing brand new functions needed for new applications, they will work with Motional’s product managers, architects, and engineering leaders to influence and plan future company-wide development work. They will support the development of market pursuit proposals, including detailed technical feature lists as well as estimates of cost and effort required, that will chart the course for Motional to deliver new products to market.
The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the bustling Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
What You'll Be Doing
- Contributing to architectural, commercial, and technical pilot project proposals for review and approval by Motional senior leadership
- Developing software needed to adapt Motional’s expansive technology stack for use in pilots and proof-of-concept demonstrations, and supporting the execution of those pilots
- Interacting with customers, partners, and subject matter experts to inform and support development work
- Helping to define the commercial and technical roadmap for new technology applications
- Supporting hiring of motivated, flexible, and innovative team members
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering or equivalent field, or commensurate professional experience
- 5+ years relevant professional experience, preferably in full stack software development (C++ preferred) in a Unix/Linux environment
- Soft skills that promote effective teamwork, including empathy, influencing without authority, low ego/”not invented here syndrome”, and the ability to build trust with your team, peers, and senior leadership
- Ability to quickly orient to complex, established codebases and navigate changes required to adapt to new needs
- Ability to thrive in early-stage, ambiguous technical environments needing creative, efficient solutions, including a willingness to tackle any technical task required to move a project forward
- Experience delivering tangible results despite obstacles
- Strong communication skills suitable for executive and customer audiences
Bonus Points (not required)
- Experience in L4 vehicle autonomy, robotics, or a related automation field, particularly working closely with hardware engineers in cloud-connected applications
- Experience planning and estimating large, uncertain development projects
Why You Should Join Us
- Members of the Technology Strategy team have an outsized influence on Motional’s impact on the self-driving industry. By scouting ahead and providing a rough map of the technology strategy to pursue new opportunities, team members influence the decisions of Motional’s senior leadership and the trajectory of the company as a whole.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.