This position is located full-time in Pittsburgh. It is posted in the Detroit-area because of the strong automotive industry and skills related to this position. You would be eligible for relocation assistance for this role.
Motional builds state-of-the-art fully autonomous vehicles. Building across software, hardware, vehicle, and cloud solutions for the car. The Motion Controls team works on control algorithms development, to generate trajectory tracking control of different vehicle platforms provided by OEMs, embedded controller hardware bring up, and safety features (system health monitoring, backup controls when failure happens, redundant system design) to meet ASIL-D standards for autonomous driving.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, implement, and tune real-time controllers for steering, throttle, and brake systems for various self-driving driving vehicles.
- Develop and optimize estimators to observe relevant vehicle states and disturbances.
- Derive, fit, and simulate accurate vehicle dynamics models.
- Implement the prototype vehicle control algorithms in an autonomous vehicle for on-road and simulation tests.
- Work with algorithm experts in perception, motion planning and platform control.
- Show initiative and be a valued team member in our innovative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where cooperative teamwork is the norm.
- Build new concepts and groundbreaking solutions that shape the future of mobility.
What You’ll Bring:
- 5+ years of experience implementing controllers, based on classical and modern control theory.
- Masters or PhD preferred in Robotics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related area or 5+ years industry experience in controls for robotic systems is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of linear/non-linear control theory (MPC, LQR, PID), kinematics, mechanical system dynamics is preferred.
- Experience with MATLAB/Simulink is preferred.
- Experience in implementing, using debugging high-fidelity dynamics simulators is preferred.
- Experience in embedded system development
- Experience in Vehicle dynamics
- Experience in ADAS
- Familiar with Automotive SPICE and ISO26262
- C/C++ development
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.