We’re seeking highly motivated candidates to join our Autonomy Systems team at Motional, to help us tackle some of the most challenging technical problems facing the autonomous driving industry, and improve the robustness, performance, comfort, and safety of our driverless vehicle.
About the role:
Localization Autonomy systems engineers use systematic analysis and empirical methods to understand localization performance, and its impact on the performance and safety of the driverless vehicle. We develop metrics and requirements that guide the vehicle stack improvements, debugging, testing, and validation.
What you will work on:
- As a localization-focused autonomy systems engineer, you will develop methods, metrics, requirements, and tests to improve the performance and robustness of our onboard and offboard localization system pipelines.
Specifically, you will collaborate with Localization algorithm experts, and work across teams to
- expand and improve localization metrics for offboard or onboard performance evaluation and problem solving complex localization scenarios
- analyze drive logs and test data to evaluate and verify localization performance
- characterize the relationship between localization performance and input sensor performance (including lidar data, radar data, map information, IMU readings, and GPS signals) to guide sensor selection, input data improvements, and localization algorithm improvement.
- Develop, execute, and/or analyze vehicle tests to demonstrate localization capability in difficult scenarios.
- You will propose and analyze tradeoffs between potential solutions, and derive requirements that enable our driverless vehicle to meet its performance, comfort, and safety goals.
- You will become comfortable with our development tool chain to perform hands-on analyses to identify issues and/or weaknesses in our system and recommend potential solutions. If interested, you will take part in implementing those solutions.
- You will write reusable, high quality data analysis code and develop models to enable accurate, efficient, and scalable data-driven decisions.
- You will articulate decisions and their rationales with clarity, to drive cross system alignment and/or cross team implementation.
- To ensure streamlined development and system integration of our vehicle software, you will uphold a high standard of clear localization architecture documentation through clear representations of critical elements, definitions of signal interfaces, and effective cross team communication.
- If interested, you will also have the opportunity to assist in the improvements of our localization virtual simulation capability.
Minimum requirement on Education and experience
- MS in Computer Science, Robotics, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related field with 3 years of experience in owning the technical responsibility over a complex system preferably a perception or localization/SLAM sub-system
- Or BS in Engineering with 5 years of experience in owning the technical responsibility over a complex system preferably a perception or localization/SLAM sub-system
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills; effective in engaging cross teams for problem solving.
- Proficient in python, or C, C++, or Matlab,
- Familiar with Lidar, IMU, or GPU sensors
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Robotics, Machine Learning or a related field
- Experience with SLAM, localization and pose, or perception systems with different sensing modalities.
- Industry research or production experience
- Experience in complex, high performance computing systems
- Experience with UML, simulation tools, SQL
- Experience with professional software development
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.