The Operational Safety Engineer is responsible for conducting analysis that leads to implementation of or improvement to Motional’s safety programming, processes, policies, or training across fleet safety, human factors safety, workplace safety, or Safety Management System.
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development at 4734 Second Avenue, a culmination of the city’s goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela river, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop a deep understanding of Motional’s safety and operational objectives
- Perform detailed analysis and propose a strategic vision for establishing Motional as an operational safety, organizational safety, workplace safety, and safety training leader
- Perform analysis and author human factors requirements or process requirements that influence Motional’s development testing thresholds and approach
- Describe, recommend, maintain, and assure operational, organizational, workplace safety, and safety training policies, process, and programming
- Facilitate safety risk management and assurance functions
- Define and plan implementation of best-in-class programs for assessing operational safety, organizational safety, workplace safety, or safety training gaps and risks through the use of safety metrics and indicators
- Produce regular updates to Motional executives on safety performance and safety initiatives, and generate the required data-collection tooling
- Partner with process owners and team leadership across Motional to charter, implement, monitor, and report upon novel safety programming, processes, and policy
- Represent Motional as a safety thought leader with industry groups
- Lead technical evaluation of vendors and drive product implementation by working closely with internal and external partners
- Partner with cross-functional teams to define OKRs, identify risks, and communicate clearly with project partners
- Work independently with Product, Engineering, Operations, and other partners to support in the ideation and development of risk / insurance products
- Keep up-to date on the latest technology solutions and frameworks in market to generate innovative ideas to tackle challenges
What we’re looking for:
- An entrepreneurial mindset
- Demonstrated capacity to operate with a high level of autonomy in a rapidly evolving environment
- Strong collaborative / people skills
- Strong analytical skills, including fundamentals of data analysis
- Familiarity with program / project management methodologies
- Familiarity with SMS implementation in the AV space
- Familiarity with product safety or safety case argumentation
- Familiarity with ISO26262, ISO21448, AVSC00001201911, AVSC0007202107, AVSC0005202012, SAEJ3018
- Experience in evaluating and ensuring alignment or compliance to regulations, best practices, or standards
- Experience with data analysis, dashboarding, metrics reporting and visualization
- Proven experience with SMS, Operational Safety, Internal Evaluation Programs and/or similar safety programs
- Experience in auditing, authoring, or implementing safety L&D programs
- Experience in defining and performing safety investigations, evaluations or analysis and Safety Risk Analysis (SRAs)
- Hands-on experience with Project Management tools in safety critical software development / lifecycle management (preferably Atlassian tools such as JIRA)
- Proficiency in extracting insights from and applying expert-provided data in the form of quantitative risk assessments, reliability analysis, and/or statistical data analysis
- Experience in the self-driving or automated solutions space
- Experience in technical development and/or requirements development
- Experience with managing operations, or experience within operational safety
- Experience with Human Factors Models, Human Factors Analysis and Classification System (HFACS)
- Must be able to accommodate early mornings, late evenings, and weekends for global scope
- Comfort with occasional travel domestically
Master’s Degree in related engineering or safety management field – or comparable experience – preferred.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor to other positions across all US sites.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to convey and detect communication
- The employee is occasionally required to remain stationary at times for up to 50% of working time; operate power tools, move in designated working areas; & operate and use office equipment
- The employee must occasionally move up to 50 pounds
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Because interfacing with the public and/or other employees in a confined setting is an essential function of the job, Motional currently requires those performing this role to be fully vaccinated. Anyone hired into this role should be vaccinated by their start date. Motional is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated where it is not an undue hardship to the Company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.