Machine Learning Engineer – Autonomy Performance Metrics
About the job
The Autonomy Performance Metrics team focuses on data-driven metrics development to guide training and evaluation of other components within the AV stacks (Perception/Planning). The team focuses on three major topics: (1) developing a data-driven ML-based comfort/safety metrics that measure the performance of the AV, (2) developing tools to catch and prevent regressions in our AV software delivery progress, and (3) developing cutting-edge smart agent models and traffic simulation to enable a realistic real-world driving behavior.
The Motional Santa Monica office is located in the heart of 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica at 312 Arizona Avenue. With all the modern amenities for productive work and play, it is steps away from the popular pedestrian outdoor shopping area and Santa Monica beach.
What You'll Be Doing
- Collaborate with other teams such as machine learning platforms, resimulation teams, and planning to deliver high-stake projects.
- Develop cutting-edge ML based smart agent models to ensure that the simulation environment reflects the real world driving behavior, with cars, pedestrians, cyclists interacting with our autonomous car in realistic fashion.
- Develop the performance metrics of our autonomous car.
- Build tools that leverage on performance metrics to enable fast iterations of AV-stack developments.
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or a related field.
- Strong coding skills. Strong software engineering skills.
- Machine Learning experience or background. Specialty in reinforcement learning is a plus.
- Solid understanding of fundamental statistics and deep learning concepts.
- Strong communication and presentation skills – can explain complicated topics and ideas in a clear and concise manner.
Why you should join us:
Led by Oscar Beijbom. Our Machine Learning team, authors of nuScenes (https://www.nuscenes.org), PointPillars (https://arxiv.org/abs/1812.05784), and PointPainting (http://arxiv.org/abs/1911.10150). The ML Team is doubling in size in 2021, and we are adding engineers and researchers to join us in our mission to launch a level 5 autonomous taxi system.
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $136,900/year + bonus + equity + benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.