We are looking for a highly experienced data communications and network architect to join our system architecture team within the Vehicle and Product Systems organization. The architecture team owns the big picture system design and finds balance between technical breadth and depth. As a network architect, you will work closely with our systems and software engineers to guide the implementation and testing of our current-generation in-vehicle network that is based on CAN-FD, Ethernet, and other automotive interfaces.
In addition to directly impacting the execution of our 2022 and 2023 programs with Lyft and UberEats, you will be part of a cross-functional team that defines our next-generation system design and architecture. You will have a highly visible and key role in owning and defining the next-generation in-vehicle network that interconnects our expansive sensor suite, high-performance embedded compute, user experience, and vehicle controls. You will also collaborate with Hyundai on network interfaces to the vehicle E/E architecture.
What you'll be doing:
● Provide technical direction, support, and mentorship across Engineering in implementing and testing
the current-generation in-vehicle data communication and network architecture.
● Lead network architecture decision making process and serve as a point of contact for system-level
engineering questions and issues related to the overall in-vehicle network architecture.
● Work cross-functionally to drive alignment and ensure requirements from Product, Components,
Autonomy, Safety, Cybersecurity, and Programs are addressed in the network architecture.
● Define and document a detailed network design specification for our next-generation autonomous vehicles, leveraging automotive Ethernet, TSN, MIPI, LVDS, and other high-speed interfaces.
● Perform trade-off studies as needed and support leadership in high-impact technical decisions.
● Engage with automotive suppliers and provide technical support during component definition and
● Lead the development of bench demonstrations to validate network design and reduce program risk.
What we're looking for:
● Deep understanding of the Automotive Ethernet ecosystem and technology, especially IEEE 802.1
bridging and TSN standards.
● Good knowledge of the Internet Protocol, TCP/UDP, and network security.
● Experience with PCI-Express, MIPI interfaces, and/or high-speed Serializer/Deserializer technologies.
● Experience with Controller Area Network (CAN / CAN-FD).
● Deep understanding of end-to-end data movement across a networked embedded system.
● Knowledge of the impact of design decisions at the network/data-link layer across the product development and maintenance lifecycle.
● Hands-on experience in building/configuring networks and Ethernet switches for safety-critical applications.
● Excellent interpersonal skills and relentless desire to learn continuously.
● Excellent communication skills and ability to transfer your knowledge and expertise to others.
Bonus points (not required):
● Basic/fundamental knowledge of physical layer technology (for example, automotive Ethernet PHYs).
● Hands-on experience with automotive-grade Ethernet switches and gPTP time synchronization.
● Experience with network design to meet automotive functional safety and cybersecurity requirements.
● Experience with embedded software development and software architectures (for example, AUTOSAR)
● Knowledge of Publish/Subscribe protocols (e.g., DDS or SOME/IP).
● Experience with automotive diagnostics, flashing, and configuration protocols such as UDS and DoIP.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.