The CATT organization is one of the 3 software development organizations within Motional. CATT is responsible for the architecture, design, and implementation of several key software platforms ranging from Cloud Infrastructure for our Machine Learning teams and CI/CD development systems, native & cloud-based applications for 2D and 3D data visualization, data ingest/indexing and analytics tools, synthetic simulation and re-simulation of scenarios to test/validate our Autonomous Vehicle software stack, and our automated test systems. We also develop Cloud APIs and services for our ride-sharing service partners (Lyft, Uber) to integrate with our fleet management systems, as well as applications used by our operations center to monitor and manage our autonomous vehicles across multiple cities where we operate.
Motional is seeking a Principal Engineer, Team Lead reporting to our VP of Cloud, Apps, Tools & Test (CATT) engineering organization. In this role, you will manage and oversee the design and development of various applications in our autonomous vehicle software platform, focusing primarily on 2D/3D visualization tools and workflows used by our Autonomy and Validation/Verification teams. This is an exciting opportunity to lead some of our finest engineers and developers, working on critical, high-profile applications that accelerate the development of our AV systems. You will help drive the vision and strategy of our application suite, hire and mentor engineers and managers, and shape our culture of continuous improvement and long-term growth.
What you'll be doing:
- Manage multiple Software teams building best-in-class 2D/3D data analytics & visualization applications used to explore and understand how our Autonomous Vehicles perform in the real world and simulated scenarios
- Oversee the Design, Implementation, and evolution of software features, maximizing code reuse and shared platform components.
- Collaborate with adjacent teams to integrate underlying data streaming services
- Hire, retain, motivate and lead top engineering talent
- Work with other Directors and Executives to set and communicate technical direction and product strategies while anticipating strategic and scaling challenges
- Work with your teams, technical program managers, product managers and other stakeholders to plan, prioritize and execute against an engineering roadmap
- Ensure teams maintain effective development processes to deliver high quality production code that is safe, well-architected, performant, reliable, and testable
What we're looking for:
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or similar
- Development experience with multi-threaded C++ and Python on Linux, MacOS, and Android OSes
- Familiarity with native and web-based application frameworks; Qt experience highly desired
- Excellent communication skills; effective in communicating complex concepts and driving resolutions
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Passion for robotics applications and a desire to work in a fast-paced research-powered industrial product development environment
- 10+ years of professional experience and track record of delivering complex software systems
- 5+ years of experience in managing teams and a vision on how to manage teams
Bonus points (not required):
- Background in autonomous technologies, mobility or robotics
- Experience with 2D & 3D graphics and rendering engines
- Advanced degree (MS / MBA)
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.