Motion Planning Intern
As part of Motionals Motion Planning Research team you will create and implement new cutting-edge machine learning methods that push the boundaries of the state-of-art in order to bring reinforcement and behavior cloning based methods for controlling driverless cars to the streets!
You will be an integral part of a team of highly talented and motivated researchers within Motional that are given the freedom to work on cutting edge long-term projects. The ideal candidate would therefore share the team's vision of trying new experimental approaches while not being afraid to fail and possess the enthusiasm to never stop trying until a break-through is achieved.
What You'll Be Doing
Most reinforcement projects use uninformed sampling during the learning process. This usually leads to impressive results in cherry-picked – or even nominal – cases. However the reliability of such methods is usually limited.
This project focuses on a method to augment the training process in an approach similar to generative adversarial networks that have been proven to be successful in image generation.
The learning process will consist of learning phases alternating between the trajectory generating network and the scenario creating (or selecting) network. The two networks are training in an adversarial fashion: the trajectory generating network tries to minimize its cost function while the scenario creating network tries to maximize the cost that its outputs would incur when given to the current trajectory network.The outputs of the scenario creating networks can then be shuffled into the main training samples.
This method allows us to put an emphasis on the hard to solve scenarios during the training process. During the late stages of training this can be used to increase the reliability of the neural network.
- Your expertise in reinforcement learning methods will help your team achieve break-throughs in getting this project to fruition. You will contribute directly to our code-base and if successful you will be able to deploy your code for on-road testing on our Hyundai Ioniq 5 driverless fleet.
What We're Looking For
- You’re passionate about a driverless future and how machine learning will play a crucial role in saving more than a million lives every year and enabling equitable mobility for all.
- You have a strong track-record of getting machine learning solutions to work.
- You are able to take responsibility and push forward projects without close supervision.
- You have a deep understanding of machine learning techniques and you are able to find solutions for problems that are not handled by literature.
- You are proficient in pyTorch and Python.
Bonus Points (not required)
- C++ knowledge
- Experience in large software projects
- Solid control theory knowledge
Why You Should Join Us
- Because you can change the world with us.
- We have a positive culture where experimentation is encouraged and you will be given the freedom to do things your way.
- You will have the chance to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
- We have autonomous cars on the road.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.