The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the busting Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
Sensor Modeling and Autonomous Driving Simulation Intern
We’re seeking a highly motivated candidate with a background in robotics, perception systems, and solid programming skills to help us build the future of autonomous driving. This role will report into the Autonomy Systems Engineering Team and will have the opportunity to collaborate with the Machine Learning and Component Engineering teams. This intern will help contribute to building state-of-the-art sensor simulation models for the camera, lidar, and radar systems. The interns contributions will be utilized to define metrics for machine learning perception algorithms. You’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with an exceptional team of researchers, engineers, and tech leads to make a tangible impact on the future of autonomous driving.
What you will be doing
- Building analytical sensor models and improving existing models using the first principals
- Developing numerical sensor models using the analytical formulations and frameworks
- Verification and validation of models using test data logs and updating models accordingly
- Coupling sensor models with commercial dynamic graphical simulation engines and creating complex scenarios
- Derive requirements and metrics for our in-house ML-based perception algorithms based on parametric sensor simulation studies
- Collaborate an interdisciplinary team of machine learning engineers, sensor specialists, and software engineers
What we are looking for
- We’re looking for someone who is driven, is a builder, has a get-things-done mentality, and can work effectively in a team setting.
- A bachelor or master’s degree in mechanical, electrical, or computer science with a solid understanding of analytical and numerical modeling of physical systems
- Fluent in Python and comfortable with MATLAB
- Familiar with Object-oriented programming and ability to write clean and reusable codes
- Experience with software development standard practices and ability to build scalable products
- Knowledge of software front-end and back-end technologies and ability to build software prototypes
- A general understanding of machine-learning and perception algorithms
- Exposure to simulation software and running parametric studies
- Experience with lidar, camera, radar, microphone, and thermal imaging systems
Why you should join us
Our team is commercializing a world-class driverless system. The Motional team is behind some of the industry’s largest leaps forward in the last decade, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world’s first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world’s most-established public robotaxi fleet. Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.