As a researcher on the Driving Policy team you will work closely with a broad range of roboticists and operational stakeholders to analyze, develop, and assess autonomous vehicle behavior. This is a unique opportunity to have a significant impact on how Motional’s self-driving vehicles perform driving tasks.
The ideal candidate will have extensive skills in scripting for data analysis, using software engineering tools, and exposure to laws and regulations related to driving. This role is highly collaborative and serves to coordinate and integrate the work of multiple teams. The candidate should be excited to solve dynamic, unstructured problems emerging from developing autonomous vehicles to serve complex, urban environments.
- The driving policy team at Motional reconciles internal and external stakeholder expectations for driving behavior into implementable driving policies.
- Your team is at the forefront of industry breakthroughs by incorporating cutting-edge driving research into the design and implementation of autonomous vehicles
- The team identifies urban driving challenges and seeks to architect solutions at the intersection of technological constraints, legal and standard guidance, and operational feasibility.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will be working to extract data from Motional’s driving logs and driving scenario parameters.
- Perform data analysis in Python and SQL queries
- Review literature, and interpret external standards, regulations, and traffic laws for Motional
- Capture feedback for driving needs from engineering and operations teams
- Document, communicate, and present results within Motional to engineering teams and leadership
- Represent Motional in external forums
What we’re looking for:
- You’re passionate about developing autonomous vehicles and their impact on society
- Understanding of how autonomous vehicles work, in particular their strengths and limitations
- Experience with data analysis in Python (e.g. numpy, pandas, SciPy)
- Experience working closely with a diverse range of engineering, product, and operational stakeholders
- Communicate clearly and manage projects with dynamic timelines and evolving needs
- Familiarity with autonomous vehicle simulation tools (e.g. Carla, SUMMIT, Deepdrive, AirSim)
- Background in naturalistic driving studies, driving policy, driving behavior, simulation, sensor data, statistical methods.
- Masters or PhD in Robotics, Automotive, Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, or relevant field
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $172,020/year + bonus + equity + benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.