A Senior Autonomy Systems Engineer in the Planning, Controls, and Drive-By-Wire (PCD) Autonomy Systems team will work closely with their primary customer (PCD Autonomy Software Development teams) in their day-to-day work. This role enables the development of autonomous capabilities to the required performance by establishing feedback loops and insights on current/past AV system, subsystem, and software performance. These insights/data are gathered from simulation, on-vehicle, and software integration/unit testing. Additionally, this role can involve informing/specifying PCD architecture and requirements via in-depth analysis. A successful engineer in this role is able to balance competing requests based on urgency/priority and impact to the product utilizing their previous experience working end-to-end on complex safety critical systems.
- Develop and lead projects to meet customer needs and requests
- Balance competing requests based on urgency/priority and impact to the product
- Ability to identify MVP/8020 scope/deliverables in an agile environment
- Deliver usable/demo-able products on a weekly basis; collect feedback from stakeholders and build upon deliverables in following weeks in order to achieve longer term goals/milestones.
- Ability to pivot project plans based on stakeholder feedback and analysis discoveries
- Lead/advise Junior Engineers to support projects
- Establish feedback loops and insights from simulation, on-vehicle, and software integration/unit testing and data via:
- Creating automated, ~real-time dashboards (SQL, python using Redash, Jupyter, internal tools, etc.) enabled by fusing/analyzing test results and data from the aforementioned test environments
- Performing static results/data analysis (SQL, python, matlab, etc.)
- Determination of necessary performance metrics and requirements in parallel with system, subsystem, and software level V&V planning/execution
- Physics/Dynamics analysis
- Data/Statistical analysis – e.g. Monte Carlo, regression
- System analysis – e.g. latency, sensitivity, requirements/test coverage
- Highly skilled/experienced with all of the following: physics/dynamics, data/statistical, and systems analyses
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; effective in communicating complex concepts and driving resolutions
- Ability to focus on MVP/8020 solutions that enable current day-to-day priorities, and that are also compatible with and contribute to a final product/solution
- Ability to adapt to changes in strategy/requests by pivoting project plans and execution
- Passion for developing complex safety critical systems
- Software or hardware test development
- Pragmatic end-to-end systems engineering experience and capability in analysis, requirements development, and V&V
- General experience/comfort with Linux (including terminal)
- Some general experience/comfort with creating scripts and queries >=1 language (beyond Matlab; e.g. Python, C++, shell, SQL)
- Software and hardware test development
- General experience/comfort with creating software integration and/or unit tests
- General experience/comfort with git (or equiv) and landing code in a config controlled repo
- Systems Engineering experience in a regulated industry
- Pragmatic UML/SysML experience
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Safety Analysis experience on complex safety critical systems in a regulated environment (aerospace, autonomy, medical, rail, etc.)
- Required: BS in Aerospace, Computer Science , Electrical, Physics, Robotics, Software, or equivalent Engineering
- Preferred: MS in Aerospace, Computer Science, Electrical, Physics, Robotics, Software, or equivalent Engineering
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.