We are seeking a highly motivated Research Intern (PhD) to advance the state of motion planning research for autonomous driving. You will be collaborating with world-class engineers & scientists and have access to internal high-quality & large-scale datasets to train planning models and evaluate them in closed-loop.
The Data Mining team in Singapore develops cutting edge algorithms and infrastructure for data mining in the context of autonomous driving. Our goal is to improve the on-road performance of products that use machine learning at their core by mining for modeling errors, environment anomalies & challenging long-tail events. The Data Mining team is also driving the development of nuPlan, the world’s first large-scale motion planning dataset and benchmark.
You will experience real-world problems that will enable you to put everything you have learnt into action and give yourself an opportunity to join us in shaping the future.
You will be contributing to one or more of the following:
- Work on motion planning modeling and learned agent policies using the open nuPlan dataset
- Improve planner generalization and robustness against a large-scale scenario corpus
- Mine for challenging scenarios and continuously improve planner performance
- Analyze causality and provide statistical depth in evaluating learned planning models
- Implement end-to-end planning models that learn from raw sensor data
- Enhance planning model training by incorporating closed loop mechanisms
What we're looking for:
- Pursuing a PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar area quantitative field
- Experience with design, large-scale training and analysis of motional planning or behavior prediction models
- Solid background in algorithms & data structures
- Proficiency and practical experience with Python
- Self-motivated, hands-on, desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Be able to commit to an internship of 6 or more months
Bonus points (not required):
- Experience with PyTorch / PyTorch Lightning or similar machine learning frameworks
- Experience with training very large-scale deep learning models on the cloud
- Experience with writing high quality and maintainable code
- Contribution to open source machine learning projects
- Proven track record of publications in relevant conferences (CVPR, ICML, NeurIPS, ICRA, IROS, IV…)
If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above – that’s okay! We encourage you to apply if you think this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and that you can deliver the results we need.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.