The Test Engineering team at Motional plays a critical role in testing Autonomous Vehicle functionality, safety and performance. It is part of your role to test our comprehensive stack of tools comprising the latest technologies in the AV industry. You will be contributing to the testing infrastructure by creating testing frameworks and contributing to existing ones to provide test coverage and confidence to our systems.
You will be collaborating with cross-functional areas within the organization to understand requirements and use cases of internally developed tools and develop comprehensive test plans and procedures.
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development at 4734 Second Avenue, a culmination of the city’s goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela river, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
What You'll Be Doing
- Work with software, hardware, and tools development engineers to develop specific test software, hardware, and instrumentation
- Develop automated tests and test frameworks in collaboration with stakeholder teams
- Identify issues and create clear and comprehensive descriptions
- Collaborate with developers to aid in issue resolution and verification
- Analyze test results and document findings in comprehensive test reports
- Manage issues throughout their entire lifecycle, driving them to resolution.
- Work cross-functionally with various teams (Engineering, Operations, Mapping, etc. ) to communicate knowledge of new features or changes and ensure that testing is completed in a timely manner.
- Additional duties assigned
- Able to travel domestically
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, Robotics or relevant field
- Working knowledge of software development lifecycle, testing processes and QA methodologies
- Experience with Linux and some programming (Python, Bash/Shell)
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to think logically and remove bias from evaluation of problems
- Experience in technical writing, technical drawings and documentation of mechatronics systems is preferred
- Basic understanding of robotics systems including sensors, actuators, mechanical and software systems
- Enthusiasm for the AV industry as well as safety/mobility
Bonus Points (not required)
- Experience with autonomous vehicle software and hardware testing.
- Experience testing safety-critical applications
- Experience in using issue tracking tools is preferred (esp. Atlassian Confluence, Jira, GitLab)
Why You Should Join Us
- This is an exciting opportunity for a test engineer to join a very dynamic team of people focused on creating and executing tests for our autonomous vehicle system. As an engineer you will work very closely with the development teams, as well as have hands-on experience with the autonomous vehicle.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and at times for long periods; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions, road conditions, and pedestrian traffic. The team member is regularly exposed to mechanical and computer parts. The team member is occasionally exposed to fumes and airborne particles. The noise level in the environment is low to moderate.
Motional AD LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, and we welcome all qualified applicants. All applicants will receive impartial consideration regarding race, sex, color, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or another legally protected status. Motional AD LLC is a Drug-free workplace.
Because interfacing with the public and/or other employees in a confined setting is an essential function of the job, Motional currently requires those performing this role to be fully vaccinated. Anyone hired into this role should be vaccinated by their start date. Motional is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated where it is not an undue hardship to the Company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.